Sunday, July 19, 2009

IST 601

I just completed my first course yesterday at Syracuse University in my journey towards my MSLIS degree. Although it was an intense 2 day course, there were many things that I will be able to take with me and use throughout my career as a school librarian.

We explored the dynamics of organizations, especially culture and the way things are viewed by an organization's internal stakeholders - their employees. Many times this view is not favorable, but change can happen. Using the innovation process, root problems can be identified, ideas and proposals for change can be implemented, and a gradual, successful change can happen.

In class, we were assigned to a group and given a task to develop an innovative solution to a problem to complete in a relatively short amount of time, ending with a PowerPoint presentation. Timewise, we had from about 4 PM on Saturday until 9:30 Sunday morning to meet with our groups, come up with a problem and develop an innovative solution. We had to substantiate our solution with research. I learned that working in a group is an important skill to develop and one that despite challenges can yield rewarding results upon successful completion.

I intend to absorb and utilize as much information as I can while completing my Master's Degree at S.U. - there is so much available in this program.

No comments:

Post a Comment