Friday, July 31, 2009

IST 612 Reflections

I just completed IST 612 - Youth Services and Libraries and Information Centers at S.U. This was another 5 day residency in the M.S.L.I.S. Program. Although I am extremely tired, I did enjoy the class very much. Professor Wall, despite constant questions and requests for syllabus clarifications, was extremely patient and flexible. She wanted to ensure that everyone understood the assignments and had the information about libraries they wanted. Even though I have worked in elementary libraries for many years, I came away from this class with gained knowledge.

The 200 book annotations and core collection assignment was long, but I did enjoy creating my "own" library. Despite my typical nerves, the booktalking was fun to do. It was different doing them for my peers instead of the younger students that I am used to. I will be finishing my assignments in a few days and will be looking forward to a few weeks off before the fall semester begins.

Being a "newbie" (a first year student), I was glad that I was able to meet some second year students in this class. Their advice and support was invaluable - after all, many of them were experiencing this same overwhelming feeling that many of us newbies are feeling after an intense weekend and week of "boot camp." Knowing that they did indeed get through this, and seeing their wealth of knowledge, it gives me hope that I will also be able to persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment