Friday, July 3, 2009

Wikipedia Reflection

I decided to check out the Wikipedia entry for the town I live in – Greene, New York. The information seemed accurate to me as I read through the history, geography, and demographics sections. Census information was as of 2000, so that will need to be updated when a new census becomes available. Greene is home to several notable businesses although I noticed that there were only 2 listed – The Raymond Corporation and the Chenango River Theatre. I decided to add one more business to the list. Baron’s Inn is a restaurant that has been operating in Greene for at least 45 years. I know that this is true because I used to go to this restaurant with my parents when I was a child.

I was surprised at how easy it was to edit this posting and add Baron’s Inn to the list of notable businesses. Once I created an account and logged in with a user name and password, I could change or add whatever information I wanted to. When you use the Google search engine to look for Greene New York, this Wikipedia entry is ranked # 4. I hope people who use Wikipedia realize that the information contained on its site may or may not be accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greene_(town),_New_York

No comments:

Post a Comment