Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Portable MLIS - Chapter 15

Chapter 15 – Research by Ron Powell

In this chapter Powell explains the different types of research that librarians and libraries undertake in their quest to find out information such as their customer base, library programs, effectiveness of library personnel, and statistical data. Information garnered from this research can be quantitative or qualitative. One of Powell's statements early in the chapter caught my attention. Evaluative research can “assess the quality and effectiveness of their organization's resources and services.” (p. 170)

I think it is important to constantly evaluate library programs and performance. Throughout the year in my primary school library, I keep detailed statistics of all library programs, and circulation and interlibrary loans. At the end of the year, I compile my evaluations and statistics into a multi-page report that I submit to my building administrator. My first grade reading program results outline the number of participants, the number of books read, and the average number of books read per student. Teachers use these results to place in the students' permanent school portfolio. I also keep statistics on a family reading program that I run each month. I keep participation percentages for each grade level to see where or when I might need to encourage this program if necessary. As an incentive, I can offer additional free paperback books to give away to participants.

Organization for the report is important as well. I make sure that it is visually appealing and includes pictures taken throughout the year. I evaluate the results to help determine if programs are working effectively. A collection analysis is always part of my report. This I run through Follett Library Resources (http://www.titlewave.com). This is a great tool to evaluate age of the collection, outdated items, and number of items in each Dewey class.

Another item that Powell stated was the necessity for library professionals to evaluate research results in the library profession even if it doesn't involve their own library (pp176-177). Ways to do this include regularly reading professional journals and participating in conferences. I religiously read School Library Journal because not only does it give me recommendations for collection development, but it keeps me abreast of happenings in the world of school libraries. One of the more powerful, thought-provoking conferences I attended was in June 2008 when Dr. Ruth Small (SU professor) presented “Designing Digital Literacy Programs with IM-PACT” at my BOCES end of year symposium.

Lastly, I was surprised by the percentage (less than 40%) of LIS programs Powell claims offer a research methods course (p. 177). As I look through the MSLIS courses required by SU, I do not see “Research Methods” in a title of a class but as far as I can tell, this topic is integrated into several different classes.

Powell, Ron, (2008). Research. In Haycock, Ken & Sheldon, Brooke E. (Eds.), The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts (pp. 168-178). Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.

No comments:

Post a Comment